Skip to main content

FROM WAJIR COUNTY, KENYA TO MOGADISHU, SOMALIA


THE INDIVIDUAL BEHIND THE POWER OF COMMUNITY HEALING AND PEACE BUILDING

Adan Abdullahi Bare, busy at Trauma Training

In life, you come across so many people, those who live in your memory and those who are just another face in life’s endless cycle. At my work department with SOYDEN, I was privileged and honored to work alongside a gentleman with so much qualities and dedication to enhance the peace process in Somalia.

Mr Adan Abdullahi Bare, whom I have learned quite a lot of knowledge from, could have had it easy but chose to come to Mogadishu and pass on his wealth of information. Generally, most tend to always choose the easy route but from what I had witnessed from Mr Bare, the path to undemanding tasks is not an option.

Somalia is going through a real challenging development but with a lot of optimisms in the air for change, peace and prosperity. The road is not quite as easy as it seems but with determined citizens, it can lead to so many advantages to us as a whole.  One always tends to forget those who work behind the scenes with courage, commitment and determination, and Adan is one of those who contribute countless amounts of efforts to oversee the stabilization for Somalia.

  Speaking very recently to Adan, I asked him with great interest on why he chose to come to Somalia when he could have lived Wajir with stable peace, he answered frankly “I came over because Somalia is my neighbour and there in security affects me too and I also felt a great concern, and as an human, felt it is more than an obligation.”

Adan – the Trauma Healer and a founder member of Wajir Peace & Development Committee (WPDC), who also happens to be very optimistic, added “I see Somalia with greater security than now within a few months, let alone year!” The positivity of that remark caught with me like a contiguous spread. 

Leading the Trauma Healing and Peace Building project at my work department with SOYDEN, Not only is it helpful for me personally on having an individual with so much experience, but very useful for our wider community who he provides with trainings, reconciliation and healing sessions.

Individually, it’s a great privilege and an opportunity to enhance my wealth of experience and knowledge in the long run. “The day you stop learning is the day you die” was one very useful info I had always kept on my mind, and I believe this is where it plays best. 

Well done to my colleague and I am sure, in whichever field destiny takes him forward, success will follow.

Here I have added 2 awards he had won recently while in Kenya and wanted to share with you all.

21st September 2011During the 2011 International Peace Day, Awarded the 2011 National Peace Award by the government of Kenya through the Regional Commissioner – Upper North Eastern, Kenya

12th December 2012Head of State Commendation (HSC) Awarded by H.E Mwai Kibaki, President and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Kenya


FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT HIM ON adanbare@yahoo.com, anneybare@gmail.com

Mohamed Hassan (Dj)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 8 commandments for Diaspora on returning home

1.Stop the Arrogance
However smart and confidence you may feel, note that someone else is taking this as arrogance. Sometimes it’s best to let others shines so do not make the mistake of thinking that you know everything about everything just because you had access to Google for the last 10 years. Some youths here carry 4 or 5 degrees and did this in a warzone. Just because you had a western education and speak with a good English/American accent does not make you the messiah Somalis have been waiting for.
2.Learn Af-Somali
This is crucial for your survival (in oral sense). People will look at you and judge you. Make sure your Af-Somali game is stepped up and ready to converse at any given time. You should already know that we are an oral nation so having some type of ammo (Not guns) is important. Kids as young as 8 would test you and so would Caasi (Bus) drivers. You must be able to reply as fast as possible without any hiccup.
3.ATM/Cash Machine? Forget all that Rubbish, Welcome to the…

Somali Youth - Challenges and Actions

Background
Somali youth are at present face huge task in trying to restore order back to their beloved country.This is not one with a simple duty but with many challenges and also countless rewards if successful. With over 75% of the population, Somalia has seen its youth participate in both positive aspects of the country and also negative. Youth have witnessed themselves being sidelined in decision-making forums while at the same time at the frontline in combat defending leaders who clearly have shown to have no regards for their wellbeing and future.
History tells us the Youth of Somalia have been the driving force in establishing the state from colonial rule. 13 young activists formed the celebrated Somali Youth League (SYL) in which they had protested, lobbied for the rights of the nation. All over the country, SYL members are seen as iconic and were the drive for the nation as they had been pivotal to see Somalia with self-rule away from British and Italian ruling. It was a move…

Your contribution will be much appreciated...

I cannot comprehend my reasons of not seeking any effort on updating my prize possession (for me anyways) of Moga Tribune for over a year. So much had happened with other commitments arising (and more commitments) and allowing for this blog to quietly hit the endless storage centre of Google archive. Until, that is, of having a rather intriguing discussion recently.
As I set myself out for lunch with the family at the beautiful resort of Lido Beach one afternoon, I had, from the corner of my eyes, caught two youths halfway through a discussion with a heavy usage of finger pointing. Now, three thoughts had raced upon my mind when the finger pointing had refused to back down.
I either have:
A: Family member(s). B: Social Media friend(s).
C: Unwanted trouble. (You can always expect the un-expected).
I sat down cautiously with the family while staring optimistically through my Ray Bans in order to figure out this far-away conversation while over-lining option C out of the listed expectations (t…