Alternative view; The BBC's "advertisement" for cartels?




The BBC had recently penned a somewhat under-the-radar-slipped article (Link) that slightly alarmed me and rather seemed somewhat of a covert PR for the Khat cartels. The quite-down-to-earth-happy-chap language used in the "commercial" (which we'd call for now) such as "stimulating drug" or "anesthetic" were linguistic abuse in order to make Khat seem harmless and innocent, totally misleading the reader and buying into the sympathy of the Khat dealers as the real victims. If Khat was harmless, then why did the British Government ban it? Why is it banned in EU?

Mira is a dangerous drug and the health and social implications it has in our Somali society is not a closed secret and "Its known to cause mental health problems like psychosis and depression" are the words from their website.

I don't mean any harm on this post but I'd like to refresh the BBC with a thing or two as the article was to "emotionally aligned with the Mira dealers" and not given enough attention at all on the improvements of lives of the average Somalis, very frustrating to learn considering the huge budget of the BBC. Here at Moga Tribune, we have a zero budget (calling all potential stakeholders here) yet we will provide the BBC with some case studies that in fact show quite the opposite of their article. I want to highlight the changes we are seeing here in the streets since the ban of the Khat/Mira and how lives and the economy is improving;

------------------------------------------

1. People are more aware of their social and political rights since the Khat ban

Social protests, calling for accountability by young and old with demonstration of frustration; since the Khat ban, early indicators through my interactions with the public are that society is now more socially active as the sober effect is now resulting to ideas to develop and a spike in public conversation regarding social matters. When I take a tuktuk for transportation, My character has a tendency to talk with the drivers along the journey in order to develop a conversation and by doing this it has allowed me to note self observations and the signs are that there's been sufficient economic and social improvement within households and families are now spending more time together, neighbors mingling with one-other thus improving district security and a massive increase in shukaansi (According to my intel.)

2. People have money available in their EVC account (Mobile money)

I've had a call earlier this month from a family friend who we had not seen for a while due to his daily appointments with Khat in what he now calls his "ex girlfriend from hell". He had a regular spot where he'd chew with friends in a makeshift space made out of tins used as a shade to protect from the bright sun of Mogadishu. Whenever he'd mentioned that he was in his "office", we knew exactly where he meant.

Lets try to give him a character by naming him; How about Abdi Oyaaye? Couple of months ago, Abdi Oyaaye (Crying Abdi) was never available for family meetings or social gatherings because Oyaaye was married, divorced and married and divorced to his Mira and there love meant afternoon hideouts, away from reality. The beauty of Ramadan is that it brings families together and Oyaaye wasn't a exception as he had visited the family house and with significant noticeable changes in his appearance; looking very neat with a fragrance of fresh lemon-scent cologne beaming from him. He's facial cheeks have regrown due to healthy weight gain and he looked more stocky; fitting to a semi-pro boxer;

Oyaaye was definitely a changed man since our last encounter.

When it was time to go our separate ways, I've offered to pay for his Tuktuk fare to get him back to his house in time for the nightly curfew but Oyaaye wasn't having none of it. "I can cover my fare" he told me as a cheeky wide smile stretched from one ear to the other. I was curious to what he had meant and confused whether or not he took my sincere offering as personal. Knowing him and expecting a surprise, he added "Since the Khat ban, I keep finding money in my EVC account." 

My brother..! I love you man 👊

This means that are you free from the chains of the cartel and you can support yourself and your family, the money is cash you've earned with your hard work savings now go and pay for your own fare Oyaayey..! 

And off he went, some dollars richer.


3. "Cartel"-bound money diverted to where it matters and young children able to celebrate EID

I don't have access to official data yet but again from my own observation through the market and mingling while looking for something to purchase for my young daughter this week, I couldn't help but notice the traffic of consumers this year, busy early-shopping for Eid despite the COVID19 lock-down and it's impact in the economy. My indicators were purely from visual ( how original) and what I saw and continue to see is families preparing and purchasing for their loved ones in time for the Eid festivals. 

The cash that was intended for purchase of Mira is now staying within families and circulating in the community and supporting local businesses in return in these troubling times around the world.

------------------------------------

I hope Mary Harper and the BBC can understand that although a disaster to the Mira farmers in Kenya, lives are improving here in Somalia and local businesses will only benefit thanks to the Khat/Mira ban. 

Ask Oyaayey. who left a message;

"Lets build a wall to keep out the illegal khat trafficking coming in from the border."

Which leads me with another burning question; Is Oyaayey a Trump fan?


Mohamed Hassan - Editor - @MoHassanM_





Comments

  1. Patrick Otieno18 May 2020 at 02:14

    Mira is a disease and i wish upon my brothers and sisters in Somalia to stop it, focus on their future for their children sake and for youth to develop their skills and build their country.. I want to visit Somalia and see her beauty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah Lawrence19 May 2020 at 14:21

    Loved it! Can I share?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment