Somalia - Independence Day - 52 Years

1st July 2012

Happy 52nd Birthday Somalia. Within 13 Years, Somalia would be in a Pension Scheme. What have we achieved in those last 52 Years?

Somalia has been to the top of the Mountain, Right down to the bottom. If there is a rollercoaster full of twist and turns, Then Somalia practically beats it. We have achieved so Much in those last 52 years and have thrown it all away. I am currently in Mogadishu, Somalia’s Biggest City and main capital. So far, I haven’t seen anything which makes me feel unsafe. Yes there are guns everywhere and yes, this is a fragile calm feeling across the city, but when you look around, if feels as everybody has had enough of war and long lasting conflict which has ruined life’s and peoples properties.

I’ve been here for 4 days and I feel as if I can stay here for the rest of my life. I am among my people and I am at home. Nobody can take that away from me. I feel proud of being a Somali more than ever. The last time I was at home, I was 5 Years old and can hardly remember anything. All my uncles and aunts telling me stories in which I have no vivid memory of. One uncle is stating the fact on how I use to bit his ears; another aunty is telling me how I use to hide her shoes. I haven’t got 1 memory of it.

I can Inshallah Guarantee 1 thing; my children will not tell me or go through the same thing as I did. I am grateful my parents took me out of the war and raised me in London so that I will not be raised in Violence but instead go back and educate my people.

I love my Somali’s and this is the reason why I have come back, to educate and help my people. I don’t know about you, but I am willing to stay here for as long as Allah wills me.

Happy Independence day my people, hopefully next year Inshallah we can ALL celebrate together back here in Mogadishu.

Somalia XA NOOLAATO (LET SOMALIA LIVE)


Mohamed Hassan (Dj)

Comments