Am I a tourist in my hometown?



I’m sure a lot of you had noticed that I haven’t updated Moga Tribune for over a month. This was due to a heavy schedule. As you’re well aware by now, Somalia is currently witnessing a revival and to be honest the shift of my energy had been inputted into this wonderful task witnessing history before my own very eyes. Earlier in the month, I had received an email from a young Somali who currently is based in Mogadishu having grown up in London like myself. I wanted to share with you all his work as I embrace others experience. So here it is:                           


My name is Yasin Omar Shakur and this is my article for the world to read. My hometown is my background; Mogadishu the real city that never sleeps. I was only couple of months when my mother flew me abroad because of the danger that’s been happening the past twenty one years. April 2012 my first time back to Somalia fair and excitement is what I was feeling confused in what I was expecting. I spent most of my life in the United Kingdom which feels more homely then my motherland. Complications is what I been through the past couple months I manage to adjust in hearing gunshots and explosives. Insects played a big role for my complications as some I only laid eyes on them whilst I was here catching them crawling on my skin. The environment looked dirty, muddy, and sandy and jam packed with loud and aggressive people that only expected the worse.

I learnt a lot about my hometown, but then it’s the people who make the town and I realized the people of Somalia; some are friendly and some aint so friendly. An eye of a person sometimes can say everything. A person from abroad is looked at as an outcast, however, attention is what I never give but my ears hear clearly the whispers and my eyes sees the truth. April 2013 I spent a year in Somalia and the fair still hides inside me being suspicious towards everyone. I have made good friends from abroad like myself and locals who are loyal; a view which I thought was seen by me only.

Then one day, it happened unexpectedly, loud and powerful, what could it be? And all of a sudden, we were in the centre of a group of boys from abroad, and an explosion occurred, the big bang left us with echoes ringing in our ears. A scared silence, an above us began a battle, clueless in what to do, we all lay innocent on the ground until it became a moment of relief.
Coming Together with my family was my favourite moment, joy and happiness. Following our tradition we ate a spicy beef with fresh fish and vegetables on the side alongside great tasting pasta. We drank fresh camel milk that was extremely cold to cool everyone down. I remember at night, hours use to go past while I lay on the ground on my back watching the stars as I listen to music, dreaming of the future. The view was indescribable and a moment of peace and quiet.

Somalia is also known as the horn of Africa. The weather is bright and lovely. Most of the times, when I’m free, I would head out to the beach with some friends were thousands use to gather together and have fun. The ocean was shinny, warm, just the way I liked it. I never think twice but undress till am left standing with my swimming trunks and dive in the deep warm beast. 22 years of disaster and changes is visible in Somalia, people working together, building, houses, streets, roads and etc. 

Somalia can be the best place in the world and will be after this old fashioned behaviour changes. Hopefully people will acknowledge Somalia as a nation of beauty and not the monster. I can see so many great things happening. Through the changes, everyone is finally putting tribes (hopefully) and silly behaviour to the past and starting to work as one. Unity is the key which Somalis didn’t understand first.

Comments